Friday, September 16, 2005

Blythe, CA

Greetings from my first stop on the road to Ft. Sam. As I sit here super-sizing myself with a so-called "good for me salad" and fries from the Golden Arches, I reflect on the first ten hours of my new adventure. The drive from San Jose to Blythe was not as long as I expected it to be, and much more interesting than I thought it would be as well. A few things that struck me as being completely juxtaposed:

-The Pleasant Valley State Pennitentury on I-5. Hmmm...

-An Elementary school on Gun Club Road off of Hwy. 46. Double hmmm...

-A massive rose nursery on Hwy. 46. It made me feel as if I were on my way to see the Wizard of Oz. Quite a beautiful distraction in the midst of nothing.

-Oil derricks scattered through vineyards. Nature and destruction in harmony...

-Signs warning of possible bee activity at every radiator water point along I-10. Are bees naturally attracted? And am I really going to risk it, or just wait for AAA?

Anyhow, Blythe is an interesting little interstate town. As well traveled as its cousin, Barstow, but not quite as well known. I always wondered how little desert towns became big travel stops... Now that I am watching Late Night, I have been inspired to write a Top 10 of Blythe's possible city slogans to attract travelers:

10. Hey, our fast food is just as good...
9. Sleep closer to the ultra-cool Joshua trees...
8. Come on, how can you pass up the Courtesy Coffee Shop?
7. No, Blythe is not near Barstow. Oooh, you should just stay here...
6. No rooms in Blythe? Try East Blythe, it's two exits down the interstate...
5. Be honest with yourself: Are your kids really going to make it another two hours?
4. Posher than Desert Station, but not as snooty as Indio...
3. Just like Phoenix; well, not really, but you're here now...
2. Close enough to the state line that you could tell people you made it into Arizona on your first day...
1. No really, you thought you were making it to Phoenix today?

Well, I am off to get some beauty sleep before I head to Las Cruces...

1 Comments:

Blogger Debrayh said...

Bees are attrached to water not radiators. Just a bit of useless knowlegdge left over from when I was keeping bees as a 4H project. Deb

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home