Thursday, April 24, 2008

What I learned today…

1. Highway 80 going out of Phenix City, Alabama is very tricky and if you don’t pay close enough attention, you can end up on some other county road… Multiple times.

2. There is something historic about Selma, Alabama... I don’t know what it is, but this plane was the most historic looking thing about the town, so I took a picture of it.

3. 78 MPH is not an acceptable speed in Uniontown, Alabama…

4. There is a “Snack Shop Rd.” in Alabama, right near the Mississippi state line.

5. It takes about 3 hours to drive across Alabama… I crossed the Mississippi state line at approximately 12:55 pm, I couldn’t really tell since there was no “Welcome to Mississippi” sign.

6. There is a town in Mississippi named “Chunky”.

7. If you are on I-20, the Louisiana state line is on the bridge that crosses the Mississippi River. I crossed the Louisiana state line at 3:23 pm.



8. The sign welcoming you to Louisiana is in French.

9. It takes 2 ½ hours to drive across Louisiana… I crossed the Texas state line at 5:53 pm.

10. There are 629 exits on I-20 in Texas… Yep, I-20 is 629 miles long once you cross into Texas, and I have to drive all 629 of them. Sweet!

11. I was NOT making it to Dallas today after 708 miles on the road…

Other than a few snafus with Highway 80 and the Uniontown PD, the drive to Terrell, Texas was uneventful and quite scenic. Most of Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana is lush and very green. I had to stop at one point and take a picture, because it was just such an idyllic scene with a little farm house, cows and a watering hole. I get the feeling this is what all of the little towns along Highway 80 looked like 100 years ago, sort of like a snapshot in time… I just loved it and had to capture it. The only depressing thing about the drive today was the fact that I drove all the way across 3 states today, and I am still only half-way to Ft. Bliss…

Well, I am beat and need to get to bed… It is 670 miles to El Paso tomorrow…

66H (in transition) out…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home