Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Ft. Benning, here I am!!

Coming to you from the Easterly-most time zone of the United States (2,620 miles from California, according to my AAA TripTik)... So I made it to Columbus without significant event. However, I didn't get on the road until about noon due to a pair of fabulous sunlight-busting curtains at the hotel... I guess I really needed the sleep. Well, without further ado, the modified Top Ten for the last leg of my journey to the state of peaches and southern hospitality...

Top Eleven highlights of the drive from Mobile to Columbus:

1. Ate breakfast at the Waffle House on Exit 4 of I-65. I have seen them at almost every exit on I-65 and I-85, and the Bloodhound Gang gave tribute to their hashbrowns in one of their songs, so I figured that I had to eat there at least once during my stay in the South. I had the most wonderful, God-fearing waitress named Dorothea; Talking to her was a good introduction to the Bible Belt... But seriously, she kept my coffee cup full, my waffle was piping hot, and the hashbrowns were crispy. She just about kissed me when I left her a $5 tip, she was really sweet and a perfect start to the day. Just thought I would share a photo for those that have never heard of the Waffle House...
2. Had to go to the neighboring ATM to get cash to pay for my Waffle House breakfast... I guess drive-thru ATM's are the way of the South; I felt incredibly silly hunched over to use the drive-thru ATM on foot. I was also praying not to get hit by a car...
3. I FINALLY got through to the Lodging office at Ft. Benning and secured a room for the first few nights I am here.
4. I passed Saraland on I-65, it reminded me of my friend Sarah, and then I called her tonight to say hi.
5. Caught my first indication that I was getting close to Georgia. I cheered and did a little dance in my car... The last major leg of my journey. Two Air Force Officers passed me in their government vehicle, saw my little jig, and then made fun of me... It was actually pretty funny. I would have made fun of me too...
6. 4:41 pm: Crossed the state line into Georgia... Ta-da! I was bummed that they didn't have a nice "Welcome to Georgia sign, but oh well, I was finally across the state line...
7. Song of the day: "Hello" by Sugarbomb. It was the song that was playing on my Pocket DJ as I drove onto post... How appropriate.
8. 4:57 pm: Drove onto post. Follow Me! Oh yeah, I am officially female #12 on post, the sergeant at the gate tagged my ear on the way in... Just kidding.
9. Talked to both Marty and Peter and let them know that I was finally here.
10. Going to meet Peter for drinks tonight. (Marty had to go pump himself up at the gym...) Maybe I'll see him on Friday.
11. No trucker salutes necessary today...

Side note: My house in California is off of Interstate 280, and Ft. Benning is off of US-Highway 280; Kind of a bizarre coincidence, I guess that Ft. Benning was destined to be my home... I don't feel quite so homesick now.

It is off to find an apartment tomorrow... Wish me luck. Well, Peter should be here soon, so I will sign off for now.

66H out (from the great state of Georgia and my new home)...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home