Friday, April 25, 2008

Back in the land of Whataburger and Taco Cabana…

I am finally in El Paso after 1,380 miles in the car. I am not sure why, but the drive today seemed much shorter than yesterday, which was refreshing because I thought it would be more painful since I was looking forward to getting out of the car so badly.

I thought I might continue with more of “What I learned today,” since it was so popular yesterday… Ha-ha.

1. Sweetwater, Texas has the “World’s largest rattlesnake round-up.”

2. Midland, Texas has an international airport.

3. There is a “Tacos BBQ” outside of Midland… I couldn’t figure out if it was barbequed tacos, a guy named Taco that opened up a BBQ joint, or a restaurant that serves tacos and BBQ. I guess I will never know, since I didn’t stop to find out.

4. There is a “Noodle Dome Rd.” near Odessa, Texas.

5. There is a giant meteor crater in Odessa… Oh yes, I absolutely went to go see it! Here I am, crazy wind-blown hair, squinty eyes and all, with part of the crater and the little museum in the background. And yes, I went into the museum too… Ha-ha.

6. I-20 between Odessa and I-10 is absolutely desolate… And the speed limit is 80 MPH.

7. I-10 looks like a mirage after driving 629 miles on I-20… You just can’t believe your eyes when you finally merge onto it. I hit I-10 at 4:37 pm, and it was only 118 miles to El Paso once I got onto I-10.

8. William Beaumont Army Medical Center is not on the main post of Ft. Bliss.

So there you have it, all of the things I learned on my drive from Phenix City, Alabama to El Paso, Texas… Now I sit here in my room at the Armed Services YMCA with my Taco Cabana and a Blue Moon, after signing in to post, reflecting on the fact that I am now officially property of Ft. Bliss. I am still in shock that I have been in the Army long enough to be at my second duty station… I am also still in shock that I am in El Paso, Texas and that I can look across the Rio Grande from I-10 and see Mexico. Oh lord, what have I done?!

The search for an apartment starts tomorrow… Wish me luck.

66H (in transition) out…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home